I’m obsessed with portobello mushrooms. They have a filling, meaty taste, are low in calories, and full of nutrients. They are also low-carb, which is important if you are monitoring your carbohydrate intake. Some people substitute portobello mushroom caps in place of meat to make a meatless burger. In this case, I replaced the bun with two portobello mushroom caps, but kept a meat filling. Try this Low Carb Portobello Mushroom Chicken Sandwich!
This is an EASY recipe and it tastes so good!
Low Carb Portobello Mushroom Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 portobello mushroom caps – cleaned with gills underneath the cap scooped away (you can leave them, but it’s my preference to remove them).
- Meat filling – I made baked chicken with salt-free seasonings, which I shredded for the sandwiches.
- Sliced onions (you have the option to cook/grill them beforehand)
- Fresh spinach (and any other veggies you prefer).
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Shred your cooked chicken.
- Spray the portobello mushroom caps with olive oil spray. Season to taste. I use black pepper and a small amount of sea salt.
- Place the mushrooms with the stem side up in a broiler pan that has been sprayed with the olive oil spray.
- Broil the mushrooms for 8 minutes (or until tender). Flip the mushrooms midway through cooking.
- Remove the mushrooms and serve with the meat filling, onions and other vegetables (I chose fresh spinach, but you can add tomato, peppers, or whatever you’d like!).
- It may be hard to pick this up and eat it with your hands like a regular burger, but you can cut it with a fork and it’s fabulous!
Nutrition Facts (for one):
- Calories: 204
- Protein: 21 grams
- Carbohydrates: 16 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Sodium: 64 mg